Author Topic: Group below "user"?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Mornedil

Group below "user"?
« on: April 09, 2015, 12:49:47 PM »
I want new users to start out in a "guest" group, and then after 3 hours get moved to the user group.
But how do I make a group below the user group?
I want the user group to inherit the permissions of the guest group, but the inherit box is grayed out for the user group.

I know I could change the names of the teams, but it would be confusing to name the team for the user group "guest", and then promote them to a group with the team name "user" when they are actually no longer in the user group.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:53:58 PM by Mornedil »

Offline Aaron113

Re: Group below "user"?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 01:21:23 PM »
To my understanding of ULib, this isn't possible.  The user rank is the lowest possible rank.  Just like superadmin is technically the highest possible rank and must be named superadmin to function properly.

Offline Mornedil

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 01:39:06 PM »
To my understanding of ULib, this isn't possible.  The user rank is the lowest possible rank.  Just like superadmin is technically the highest possible rank and must be named superadmin to function properly.

Thank you, it's as I suspected then.
I guess I'll just name the autopromoted rank "builder" instead of "user", and make the builder rank inherit from user.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 03:46:19 PM »
There are very few fixed points as far as group management, but this is one of them. It confuses me that you'd even want something lower than zero-access.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Mornedil

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 06:14:09 PM »
There are very few fixed points as far as group management, but this is one of them. It confuses me that you'd even want something lower than zero-access.

The idea is to place players in a temporary "trial" rank with restrictions on tools and props commonly used by spammers, like FX emitters, dynamite, turrets, explosive and/or huge props. I've seen a pattern where spammers try using certain tools and props soon after joining, and if they're restricted they leave.
So if you can last a few hours on the server without finding the lack of those tools to be a dealbreaker, then the trial rank restrictions are removed.

So it would be like:
Trial guest rank -----[1-3 hours]-----> User rank

This was easily solved by just naming the 2nd lowest rank something other than "user" and assigning the user group to a team named "guest", but hopefully my way of thinking makes more sense after reading this post.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:31:33 PM by Mornedil »

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 05:58:22 AM »
ULX is terrifically versatile in how you are able to set up groups and permissions.

user is and always WILL be your lowest group. But that's not stopping you from making user what you would call Trial User and then making another group right above user that you call User.
Keep in mind, that Groups are NOT Teams. By default, there is nothing that shows you visually what group you are in. Scoreboards are designed to show Teams. ULX has UTeam built into it for Sandbox derived gamemodes that lets you configure Teams to go with your groups.

Just make your user group your trial group and create something right above it to move players into after they have played long enough (or w/e) to graduate from the Trial User group.

Offline Mornedil

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 06:19:57 AM »
user is and always WILL be your lowest group. But that's not stopping you from making user what you would call Trial User and then making another group right above user that you call User.

Just make your user group your trial group and create something right above it to move players into after they have played long enough (or w/e) to graduate from the Trial User group.

i generally try to avoid naming conflicts, so naming a team "user" when the user group actually belongs to another team is a big no for me. Even though it doesn't create any technical conflicts there's still a chance I will confuse the user team with the user group when modifying permissions later :p.

I decided to call the team of the auto-promoted rank "Builder" instead, since it's a pretty generic team name for sandbox.