ULX

Author Topic: .mdl and .vtx files  (Read 5979 times)

Offline iViscosity

• Respected Community Member
.mdl and .vtx files
« on: June 03, 2015, 01:05:56 PM »
Ok so this is probably a noob question; how can I get the .vtx, .mdl, etc. files without having to spend a bunch of time searching on google for them?  I thought I was supposed to be able to get them by subscribing to it on the workshop then starting up GMod and it will download - but I can't find where it downloads.  If you are wondering this is because I want to add these models onto my server but I want some custom ones to do (Hk-51 from the workshop as a player model, etc.)

EDIT: Also, do I need a separate .lua file for the actual config of the weapon? I.E. damage, in game ViewModel and WorldModel, etc.?

EDIT2: What is the lua lines I need to add the .vtx and .vvd things to it? Was it AddResource?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:12:33 PM by Masterbinkie »
I'm iViscosity. I like gaming and programming. Need some help? Shoot me PM.

Offline Zmaster

Re: .mdl and .vtx files
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:12:57 PM »
I thought I was supposed to be able to get them by subscribing to it on the workshop then starting up GMod and it will download - but I can't find where it downloads.

When you download a GMod addon from the Steam Workshop it downloads a compiled .gma file into your client's /garrysmod/addons folder
In order to get the .mdl, .vtf, .vmt, etc. files from that .gma file you need to get an extracting software like GMad Converter/Gmad Extractor
I forget where I got the file from, but if you don't want to search through Google for it, I uploaded my copy of it to Mediafire http://www.mediafire.com/download/tb1nd3qip41iqhn/gmadconv.exe

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »
Thank you and I will try this, I've tried to use GMAD Extractor before but I'm very new to coding and server hosting and stuff so this is all confusing to me.

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 01:22:32 PM »
Also, I already had GMAD extractor I just didn't know how to use it...

I got it from http://www.treesoft.dk/gmod/gmad/

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 01:24:51 PM »
EDIT: Also, do I need a separate .lua file for the actual config of the weapon? I.E. damage, in game ViewModel and WorldModel, etc.?

Does anyone know?

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:24:18 PM »
I extracted my .gma file and it gave me 3 folders; lua, materials, models.  Do I just extract these directly to my server through FTP or do I need to take the files out of those folders and put them places specific?  This is a player model that I want to put into the pointshop.