ULX

Author Topic: Ranks broken after attempting to copy teams  (Read 3128 times)

Offline The Asian Aimbot

• Rise and shine, Mr. Freeman, rise... and shine...
    • Asian Domain GMod Sandbox Server
Ranks broken after attempting to copy teams
« on: May 17, 2016, 06:12:45 PM »
I attempted to copy teams by editing the groups file, when I restarted the server, everyone was unassigned, and most of the ranks no longer existed. A file labeled groups_backup is in the C:\Users\someg\Desktop\GmodServer\garrysmod\data\ulib folder where I found the groups file. I renamed the groups_backup file to just groups, restarted the server, and it just renamed itself groups_backup again, and created another broken groups file. Is there anyway to fix this? I have like 20 ranks with tons of stuff that will be a nightmare to fix.

EDIT: When people of a certain rank join, the rank appears in the groups tab again, although it is broken.

ULib v2.60
ULX v3.70

Sandbox
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:00:51 PM by The Asian Aimbot »
The Asian Toaster man who escaped the Great Martian Coup of '69, hid in Beijing for 9 months, and was cast away by the FSM. Flew away w/ GoombasTasteGood and hid in Addis Ababa after fleeing to Botswana, then to Canada.

http://www.downloadmorewam.com

Offline Bytewave

• Respected Community Member
  • :)
    • My Homepage
Re: Ranks broken after attempting to copy teams
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 06:26:21 PM »
Protip: never manually edit a ULib-generated file. Use in-game configuration, and only touch the file directly if instructed to properly.

As for your current situation, it may be possible to repair your file, but I don't know enough about what ULib expects its file format to be to help you repair it myself. Jam might be on soon, though, and may be able to help you (no guarantees, sorry :().
bw81@ulysses-forums ~ % whoami
Homepage

Offline The Asian Aimbot

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
Alright, thanks.

For future reference, the file I edited in the first place was the groups.txt, I tried to add a team from there.
When I restarted the server, all ranks were broken, the groups.txt file was overwritten with what is there.
It spit out groups_backup.txt, I renamed that groups and then moved the other groups.txt file elsewhere.
I also tried to edit the original groups.txt file and the new groups_backup file to normal.
The Asian Toaster man who escaped the Great Martian Coup of '69, hid in Beijing for 9 months, and was cast away by the FSM. Flew away w/ GoombasTasteGood and hid in Addis Ababa after fleeing to Botswana, then to Canada.

Offline The Asian Aimbot

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
bump

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 06:50:46 PM »
So you're saying that your groups were all removed? Or are you talking Sandbox Teams and such as implied by your title? If the former, do you have any backups of your server? If so, you could likely revert back to that backup which should reset the ranks and stuff that you had at the time. If it's the latter, I probably can't help you heh
I'm iViscosity. I like gaming and programming. Need some help? Shoot me PM.

Offline The Asian Aimbot

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 07:19:56 PM »
Most of the groups were removed. Only like 3 or 4 ranks remained but they were all broken. The teams however were all deleted. I did have a backup groups file, however when trying to revert back it kept deleting my backup file and replacing it with the same broken one.

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 07:23:06 PM »
That's not what I meant. I meant, do you have any server backups. If you're hosting your server through a host like NFO or Serenity, they have an option (in NFO at least) to backup your server. If you have one of those, you can likely revert back to it.

Again, to clarify, do you mean Teams as in the Sandbox teams?
I'm iViscosity. I like gaming and programming. Need some help? Shoot me PM.

Offline The Asian Aimbot

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 07:47:48 PM »
Unfortunately I do not have one of those backups :(
As for the teams I mean the same teams that I mentioned in the other posts I made

Offline davidk911

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 02:47:44 PM »
My advice, accept your lose and take it as a learning curve "that being dont let ignorance become stupidity" and delete your ulib and ulx master files and delete your data files and start fresh and only do it in-game yes i know it can be painstaking and sometimes easily confused to make simple mistakes but it will work at the end of it.

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »
You might be lucky.. I just took a quick peek at your groups_backup.txt. It seems to just be missing a closing bracket } on the final line. I didn't test it though- there could be more issues. Do make sure you're a good text editor too. Sublime works well, as does Notepad++.
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline The Asian Aimbot

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 11:41:34 AM »
Thanks David, I have indeed learned my lesson.

Also thanks Stickly Man, I'll try that.

Offline The Asian Aimbot

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 11:56:02 AM »
Unfortunately that did not work. Thanks anyways :P

Offline The Asian Aimbot

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 04:16:29 PM »
Initially it didn't work but I attempted again a couple months later, this time something happened and it finally worked!
Thank you Stickly Man!

I'll see if the server works 100% and if it does I will lock the thread.