Author Topic: Restrict superadmins on "adduser"  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Alpha Universe

Restrict superadmins on "adduser"
« on: August 18, 2016, 06:49:38 AM »
Hello guys, I need your help. First some standart Information's:

My ULib/ULX versions
ULib v.2.61
ULX v.3.71

Game mode(s) I am having this problem on: Dark RP

So now my Problem:

I want that superadmins can add users to supporter, moderator and admin, but not to superadmin or owner.

I tried it with the groupallow command (ulx groupallow superadmin "!%superadmin,!%owner")
I also tried to restrict it via xgui directly (I added !%superadmin,!%owner by restrict Players and all other groups on Restrict groups)

But both doesn;t work. Superadmins can still add users to superadmin and owner via command and via xgui.

I hope you understand my problem and can help me.

Your Alpha Universe

Offline iViscosity

• Respected Community Member
Re: Restrict superadmins on "adduser"
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:46:45 AM »
Adduser runs on a whitelist, instead of a blacklist. I don't know exactly how to do it in the console, but if you go in the menu, you can type out all the groups you want.

You'll need to put in the groups you want it to be able to adduser to, not what you don't want it to be able to.
I'm iViscosity. I like gaming and programming. Need some help? Shoot me PM.

Offline Alpha Universe

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 10:45:55 AM »
@iViscosity  I allready tried this but it doesn't worked. They still were allowed to add them vie the xgui menu. Should I write just the groupnames or %groupname on the whitelist?

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »
Just the name.

Offline Alpha Universe

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 11:59:38 AM »
I tried it so but it doesn't work...

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 06:43:26 PM »
Superadmin is the HIGHEST group in Gmod.
Do NOT restrict it this way.
Instead, do not give out superadmin to those who do not deserve the 100% trust of the server.
Once a person has superadmin, they can cause much damage to the server WITHOUT needing to run a single ulx command.

I, no, we as team Ulysses just can't ethically support what you're asking.
Yes, there are several ways to do it, almost all require special command lines or editing skills of groups and or text files.
I believe from your lack of understanding how to accomplish it, shows me you're not ready to master this skill.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Alpha Universe

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 07:49:15 PM »
I knew already that superadmin is the highest group. But I need these groups: supporter, moderator, admin, superadmin and owner. I also tried to rename superadmin with UTeam but then I just get an DarkRP Error (Player has no valid team). Is there any other.way to create these groups. When I can't restrict superadmin I should fix it with another group bellow and rename the real superadmin somehow to owner.

Do you know another way than UTeam or do you know how to fix the error that appears? (I know thats an DarkRP error and this isn't a DarkRP Forum but maybe you could help me anyway.)

Offline Caustic Soda-Senpai

• <Insert something clever here>
    • Steam Page
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 10:04:19 PM »
I knew already that superadmin is the highest group. But I need these groups: supporter, moderator, admin, superadmin and owner. I also tried to rename superadmin with UTeam but then I just get an DarkRP Error (Player has no valid team). Is there any other.way to create these groups. When I can't restrict superadmin I should fix it with another group bellow and rename the real superadmin somehow to owner.

Do you know another way than UTeam or do you know how to fix the error that appears? (I know thats an DarkRP error and this isn't a DarkRP Forum but maybe you could help me anyway.)

You already know that superadmin is the highest group.....then you list your ranks with owner being higher than superadmin..

Did you even read what JamminR posted?
Once you get to know me, you'll find you'll have never met me at all.

Offline Alpha Universe

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 05:46:45 AM »
Yes I read it. And I also ask for other opportunitys to do that. Its very important that I have the named groups.

• Steam Page
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 11:20:41 AM »
*tableflip

You're not listening lol

superadmin = root. If you've ever used a Linux system you'll know you can't go any higher than root. That's basically like saying there's more ladder at the top of the ladder. What you're asking for (to restrict who superadmin can promote to) is just flawed reasoning since superadmin SHOULD be the highest to begin with. If you're really THAT worried about what your superadmin(s) are promoting users to, you should find some new ones that you actually trust.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 12:24:17 PM by Caustic Soda-Senpai »

Offline Alpha Universe

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2016, 11:27:08 AM »
I think you don't read correctly... I know that superadmin ia the highest group and asked then for Another option to "rename" it to owner

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 11:47:50 AM »
It's not a good idea to do that, is what they're trying to say.
http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.php/topic,6291.0.html

Some server owners find it necessary to create a group higher than superadmin for themselves and call it something else, like owner. The only problem with this is that you have now prevented some stock gmod functions from seeing you as the top level admin, even though you are. Also, by nature you will then assign other users to the superadmin group and now they have more power than they probably should have (even if you've restricted it by ULX standards .. superadmin is still the default highest group and most addons and gamemodes will treat it as such)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:51:09 AM by iViscosity »

• Steam Page
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 12:27:51 PM »
I think you don't read correctly... I know that superadmin ia the highest group and asked then for Another option to "rename" it to owner

You're still not listening XD. superadmin needs to be superadmin or things will break. badly.

It's like......running a big company and you have employees and managers, but no one who's "in charge"...it's just going to fall apart.

Offline Alpha Universe

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 12:33:50 PM »
Sorry for that: I always know that!!! I aksed for an optiin that it looked so that superadmin is called owner but really is supperadmin. I need a method to rename groups just theoretically. But it doesn't work with UTeam so I asked if there is anlther way to do this.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 09:16:51 PM »
No.
You asked to restrict superadmins.
We notified you there isn't, because Gmod sees that group name and knows they have full access to the server, even with ULX removed.

You can have owner inherit superadmin, but, as stated from many previous posts to mine, you should not have people in superadmin that you feel need restricted to begin with.

Rename any other group you want, but do not touch user, admin or superadmin.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming