Author Topic: Checking logs ingame  (Read 6000 times)

Offline Jimmy Mann

Checking logs ingame
« on: May 31, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
Hi, i think you guys should add another tab called "logs" next to settings that lets admins check logs in game. I think it would help find the cheaters for admins that don't have access
 to the admin panel that is online and only the owner can access. If you could add that i would be very great full but anyway.
Thanks,
Jimmy Mann,

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: Checking logs ingame
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:07:07 AM »
It's something Stickly and I have discussed, but have prioritized other things.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Jimmy Mann

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 07:25:10 AM »
Ok thanks, so will you ever make it or not?

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:46:21 AM »
It's doubtful, but not impossible. We tend to work in spurts as commitments in other areas of life allow.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:06:57 AM »
This is an interesting request. Something I'd never given thought to.. Maybe I'll have a go at this.

I wonder what kind of lag this would cause to the server/client when trying to send so much data from the server to the client or if there would be a better way to do it. I was looking at my log files, on average they are 500kb per day.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 08:09:55 AM by MrPresident »

Offline Jimmy Mann

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »
Yeh that would be a problem but I think I dea wouldn't be bad like you could test it but not publish it

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »
This is an interesting request. Something I'd never given thought to.. Maybe I'll have a go at this.

I wonder what kind of lag this would cause to the server/client when trying to send so much data from the server to the client or if there would be a better way to do it. I was looking at my log files, on average they are 500kb per day.

It's not bad if you do it in a paged manner. Stickly and I were going to make it log more context data so you could sort and filter the logs as well, but simple paging of the plaintext data would be a good start.

Offline Jimmy Mann

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 09:51:25 AM »
Oh cool also if you guys go ahead with the idea please tell me

Offline Jimmy Mann

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 05:21:15 AM »
So will you guys ever do it or can we have a vote or something just because I think it would be a great add to the admin mod but I just want to know and want to know if i you can confirm if you will do it or not
Not trying to push you to do it sorry if it seemed that way
Thanks,
Jimmy,

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:26:00 AM »
We do take the desires of the community into consideration, but hardly ever by something as formal as a vote. Otherwise, we have already given you all the information we have to share on this project at this time.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 07:25:39 AM »
Unfortunately all of the official developers of ULX/ULib have things that fall much higher on their priority list than new content updates (things other than bug/garry fixes).

Some of the more experienced unofficial developers (dare I classify myself into that category) have other priorities as well.

Though, if it makes you feel better, I have been giving thought to how I would go about doing this should I choose to take it up.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 09:18:59 AM »
Some of the more experienced unofficial developers (dare I classify myself into that category)

I would certainly classify you as an experienced developer. :)

Offline Jimmy Mann

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 03:15:35 PM »
Ok thanks guys

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
Re: Checking logs ingame [Thread Back From The Dead]
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 09:11:57 AM »
Recently a new topic about this was created, he was told to re-post it on his original thread. I decided to help him out and just quote it here...
Hey guys im here to bring back the in-game log checking here are some photos and a command could be !logs
Please look at these pictures and see if you can make it :D
http://imgur.com/a/mwyY7

I think a nice way to manage the data would be to load it in chunks and then provide a simple load more button. That way it would reduce the lag that would be caused by sending too much data to a client.

Also if I may suggest some alternatives...

1. Download the files using FTP and then viewing them in a program such as Notepad++ (It has a very decent search feature that allows you to search in multiple files and display all the items that where found in a separate window.)

2. Create a webpage where one could see the log files, then you could simple use the method below to show them in game...

Code: [Select]
-- Taken from wiki.garrysmod.com/page/VGUI/Elements/HTML
HTMLTest = vgui.Create( "HTML" )
HTMLTest:SetPos( 50,50 )
HTMLTest:SetSize( ScrW() - 100, ScrH() - 100 )
HTMLTest:OpenURL( "wiki.garrysmod.com" )

Also as the description for DHTML* implies you can do an extra Lua check to see if the "requester" is an admin or not.

* "VGUI HTML Panel using Awesomium. Capable of running Lua input from the webpage"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:26:18 AM by HeLLFox_15 »
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.

Offline Wully616

• WullysGamers
Re: Checking logs ingame [Thread Back From The Dead]
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 08:17:11 AM »
Recently a new topic about this was created, he was told to re-post it on his original thread. I decided to help him out and just quote it here...

I think a nice way to manage the data would be to load it in chunks and then provide a simple load more button. That way it would reduce the lag that would be caused by sending too much data to a client.

Also if I may suggest some alternatives...

1. Download the files using FTP and then viewing them in a program such as Notepad++ (It has a very decent search feature that allows you to search in multiple files and display all the items that where found in a separate window.)

2. Create a webpage where one could see the log files, then you could simple use the method below to show them in game...

Code: [Select]
-- Taken from wiki.garrysmod.com/page/VGUI/Elements/HTML
HTMLTest = vgui.Create( "HTML" )
HTMLTest:SetPos( 50,50 )
HTMLTest:SetSize( ScrW() - 100, ScrH() - 100 )
HTMLTest:OpenURL( "wiki.garrysmod.com" )

Also as the description for DHTML* implies you can do an extra Lua check to see if the "requester" is an admin or not.

* "VGUI HTML Panel using Awesomium. Capable of running Lua input from the webpage"

I actually have the webbased side of this working on my website:

http://wullysgamers.co.uk/players/

It downloads the last three logs on the server to the web server once a day and they can be viewed in the logs section.

My only issue was I could never find out how to stream the present days log, I was thinking about trying to do it through rcon like how clients such as HLSW do it, but I'm not sure how to do it through PHP.
[/url]