ULX

Author Topic: Enabled maps doesnt save with svn  (Read 5455 times)

Offline Storm

Enabled maps doesnt save with svn
« on: March 21, 2015, 10:40:57 AM »
I noticed someone else had this issue in a 2010 post but I didn't see the solution. I took a newly-wiped server and put svn on it and the enabled maps didnt save each time I restarted the server or changed the map. I then took svn off and installed the non-svn ulx/ulib versions from ulysses.net, The maps then saved between restarts/map changes. I then took those versions of ulx/ulib off and put the svn versions back on, and, again, the enabled maps didn't save. Are there any suggestions on how to fix this?

Offline Storm

Re: Enabled maps doesnt save with svn
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 02:49:09 AM »
i am hoping a staff member can help me with this. I tested it thoroughly and my gamehost checked that the svn was working correctly. Is anyone else having this issue? I tested it on a vanilla server with zero addons or modifications.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:25:14 AM »
I presume you're talking about the maps tab that allows voting on each map, or changelevel of each map?
How are you going about enabling or disabling maps?
I don't even see a way in our maps tab with current release ULX
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Storm

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 09:37:42 AM »
Thank you for responding! No I mean in ulx menu, settings, votemap list all maps are always excluded. I "allow" some on that tab but when the map switches or the server restarts, once again all maps are excluded. The allowed maps won't save. In data/ulx/config.txt, I have votemapEnabled set at 1, I have votemapMapmode set at 1. I have the maps I don't want in votemaps.txt. I have reverified this many times. ALL maps on the server (both the maps I have in votemaps.txt and the maps I don't have there) show in the Excluded maps section of the votemap list in settings, with every restart or map change. And again, I tried this on a newly-wiped vanilla server. It doesn't happen with the non-svn files on ulysses.net it only happens with the svn version.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:06:54 AM by Storm »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 01:17:25 PM »
Does your server save other ulx settings changes made using SVN?
We've revamped some I/O code recently.

Do you get any server console errors when trying to make changes (either in map settings module, or another)?
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Storm

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 02:23:42 PM »
I get no errors whatsoever. But I am glad you asked the other question! Actually no when I make any change to anything in the ulx menu it does not save. When the map changes or the server restarts, it reverts right back to what is hardcode in my ftp files. I just tested this in the following ways"
1) I promoted a person from vip to adm
2) I changed the number in the auto name kick from 0 to 1
3) I gave new access to vips for some addons

I then restarted and all these things reverted back to the original settings.

The svn I use is contained in the NFOServers control panel and is updated everyday from there.  I checked and I do have the latest version, which Stickly Man gave me in a different thread.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 02:30:18 PM »
Ok, I've little idea what, other than perhaps permissions issues in some way, is affecting your server.
I know you indicate this only happens when you use SVN, but I would think if this were widespread with our SVN we'd see tons more reporting it.

Offline Storm

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 03:02:41 PM »

I talked to NFOServers about it and they don't know why it is happening. I am very familiar with ulx/ulib and I literally put ulx/ulib on a clean, new server several times. I gave myself superadmin and I did nothing else at all. When you say it may be due to permissions, I gave myself full permission as superadmin. Is there a permission I am missing? Don't all the ulx functions default to admin (I am superadmin)?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 03:08:59 PM »
File permissions on the server, as though it can't write any changes you make to /data/ulib and /data/ulx
Just a potential - I don't know.
Especially since you say it works if you go back to older version.
You're running latest Gmod, right? (which, is a big reason we released was due to an update in Gmod recently)

Offline Storm

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 03:16:30 PM »
Yes my servers are up to date with the latest gmod and I don't think this has anything to do with the update because I have been struggling with this issue,trying to figure it out for many months. It only just occurred to me to post the issue here. Thanks so much for your help and attention. I know I have the option of removing svn all together and just using the files from ulyssesmod.net, keeping them up to date myself.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:23:31 PM by Storm »

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 03:33:26 PM »
Storm, there aren't any differences with I/O between our development and release branch right now. I am at a complete loss as to what may be causing the issue for you.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline Storm

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 05:30:43 PM »
Makes 2 of us lol. But I do want to thank you guys for trying to help!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:03:54 PM by Storm »

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 06:41:16 PM »
for many months
Oh!
I thought you meant svn since the download/release of ULib 2.52 and ULX 3.62 from March 10.

How are you going about getting the svn code and applying it to your server?
Step by step, what are you doing?

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 09:59:48 PM »
Just curious, have you taken a look at the data\ulx\votemaps.txt file yourself to see if it's saving or being modified after a mapchange? It could be very likely there's a bug with XGUI where it's not getting the votemaps list, thus making it look like it has reset.
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline Storm

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 02:57:21 AM »
Step by step how I get the svn is I go to NFOServer's control panel and there is a button to apply it. You can update it at any time. Here is what it is in the svn-results.log:

SVN update procedure started Sun Mar 22 08:31:54 2015

-> Handling sync for https://github.com/Nayruden/Ulysses.git/trunk/ulx to ulx.
Guessing function of update because folder exists.
PsExec v1.98 - Execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2010 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com
The handle is invalid.
At revision 297.
Connecting to local system...
Couldn't install PsExec service:
Starting PsExec service on local system...
Connecting with PsExec service on WIN-R9FA7DOVSI7...
Starting c:\servers\svnbase\svn.exe on WIN-R9FA7DOVSI7...

c:\servers\svnbase\svn.exe exited on WIN-R9FA7DOVSI7 with error code 0.
SUCCESS: Updated svn in 1 second(s)

-> Handling sync for https://github.com/Nayruden/Ulysses.git/trunk/ulib to ulib.
Guessing function of update because folder exists.

PsExec v1.98 - Execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2010 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com
The handle is invalid.
At revision 297.
Couldn't install PsExec service:
Starting PsExec service on local system...

Connecting with PsExec service on WIN-R9FA7DOVSI7...
Starting c:\servers\svnbase\svn.exe on WIN-R9FA7DOVSI7...
c:\servers\svnbase\svn.exe exited on WIN-R9FA7DOVSI7 with error code 0.
SUCCESS: Updated svn in 2 second(s)

And yes, the votemap.txt doesn't change at all, it contains the maps that I don't want to be voted on. And when I go to settings/votemap list on the ulx menu on the server, every map on the server is in the excluded votemaps section. If I scroll to a map I want to move to the allow list, I only have to "add" ONE and ALL the maps NOT in the votemap.txt move over. Just for the heck of it, I changed the config.txt to votemapMapmode 2, but the same thing happens.

But JamminR asked a great question, making me realize this isn't just an issue with votemap. When I make any changes at all while in the ulx menu on the server, nothing saves when I change the map or restart (see what I tested above). So I don't think my problem is just with the maps.

I switched between the svn and the non-svn versions on that wiped test server 3 times to be sure it was only the svn. And last night, I restored my files to the server I had wiped, resetting the server to how it was originally, but with the downloaded non-svn versions of ulx/ulib and the menu works perfectly.