Author Topic: What do you guys use to code?  (Read 987 times)

Offline iViscosity

What do you guys use to code?
« on: February 22, 2018, 08:21:49 PM »
Title.

I've been using Sublime 3 for the past 4 years, but I'm looking for something new. Some features I miss in Sublime are the auto-formatting (that is, on "ends" and the such, not just new lines inside "if" or "for" statements). Any suggestions? I'm a bit turned off to Notepad++, but if someone can convince me (MrP ;) ) I'll consider it.
I'm iViscosity. I like gaming and programming. Need some help? Shoot me a PM or Join my Discord!.
--==[ Links ]==--
Steam
YouTube
Steam Group (feel free to join!)
Discord

Quote from: Steve Jobs
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
Re: What do you guys use to code?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 09:18:56 PM »
I used NP++ for years. I still like how simple it is, but they removed the plugin manager in the more recent builds and that prevented me from easily downloading the gLua highlighter. I switched to Sublime 3 and spent some time tweaking the UI to my liking and installed a glua highlighter and lexer. I quite like it.

I don't really know of any alternatives besides NP++ and Sublime 3.

Why are you looking to move away from Sublime?

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 04:06:57 AM »
I used NP++ for years. I still like how simple it is, but they removed the plugin manager in the more recent builds and that prevented me from easily downloading the gLua highlighter. I switched to Sublime 3 and spent some time tweaking the UI to my liking and installed a glua highlighter and lexer. I quite like it.

I don't really know of any alternatives besides NP++ and Sublime 3.

Why are you looking to move away from Sublime?
Just looking for something new, really.

Sent using Tapatalk. Owner of iViscosity Gaming.

I'm iViscosity. I like gaming and programming. Need some help? Shoot me a PM or Join my Discord!.
--==[ Links ]==--
Steam
YouTube
Discord

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • open(my $file, "<README") or die;
    • XGUI
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 12:09:49 PM »
I just switched from Sublime to Visual Studio Code. With a bit of tweaking it can be just as powerful as Sublime, it has a pretty awesome extension "Marketplace", and it's entirely free! aStonedPenguin has created a glua plugin that seems to work pretty well for autocompletes.
"The stupidity of an individual on the Internet is generally matched only the by size of their ego, unless the individual in question is unaware of both." - Me

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »
I do have Visual Studio from when I was messing around in C#... Maybe I'll check it out
--==[ Links ]==--
Steam
YouTube
Discord

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • open(my $file, "<README") or die;
    • XGUI
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 12:23:04 PM »
Just to clarify, there is a difference between "Visual Studio" and "Visual Studio Code" :)
"The stupidity of an individual on the Internet is generally matched only the by size of their ego, unless the individual in question is unaware of both." - Me

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
Just to clarify, there is a difference between "Visual Studio" and "Visual Studio Code" :)
There is? Not positive which I have but I will check when I get home.

Sent using Tapatalk. Owner of iViscosity Gaming.

--==[ Links ]==--
Steam
YouTube
Discord

Offline Decicus

• Alex Thomassen - Home
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:17:25 AM »
I started with Notepad++ about 5-6 years ago, then switched to Atom a few years later.

Eventually got around to switching to Sublime Text (because Atom was extremely slow at certain points, primarily startup time), until I finally switched to VS Code a few months back (after hesitating for a bit).
While I love Sublime Text for it's blazingly fast startup time, VS Code isn't far behind and its extension marketplace seems to be a lot better than what I could get through Package Control in Sublime.

Nowadays I mainly use Sublime as a temporary notepad and editing/searching miscellaneous text/log files, and VS Code for actual development.
Contact information:
E-mail: alex@thomassen.xyz.
You can also send a PM.

Offline iViscosity

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 09:34:40 PM »
Thanks for the input. I've been using VS Code and very satisfied with it. I agree with you Decicus with Atom's slow bootup. I was happy when I found VS Code launches fairly quickly.
--==[ Links ]==--
Steam
YouTube
Discord

Offline BlueNova

• The most powerful force in the universe.
    • My Site
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 10:39:09 AM »
I use Notepad++ primarily. Though sometimes when I'm in the mood to switch things up I use Sublime for Visual Studio code. Have Dracula installed on Notepad++ and it's quite pretty.
Penguin Servers Super Administrator
ByB Super Administrator / ByB Contributor

If you need any help then feel free to PM me or add me on Steam or join my discord. Links available below:

Discord
Steam

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 04:33:36 PM »
At home I use Atom (never noticed any start-up time issues on a Mac); at work, I use Vim... simply because getting software approved at work is a major pain in the redacted. After being forced to use it for a while, I've actually come to enjoy it.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 06:41:18 PM »
I work in a Windows shop, and, NP++ is approved.
The actual 'hardcore' dev group has access to/uses more, but for my various quick script and web work, NP++ does extremely well.
I use it at home too.
The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side. - James Baldwin