Author Topic: Error : [ulib] Trying to send an overflowed net message!  (Read 2113 times)

Offline LeLiock

Error : [ulib] Trying to send an overflowed net message!
« on: September 05, 2023, 09:56:29 AM »
Hello there, I come seek help here today regarding an ULib issue that I have met approximately two months ago. After multiple attempts and tries to fix it, I appear to be now out of ideas, as for where this issue might come from in the first place.

What this problem does is that after logging in on my server as a superadmin, I appear to not be able to fully load the ULX menu that always gets stuck around 91%. The issue makes some modules such as the server adverts being broken, as they don't appear to work anymore.

Some of my staff members also reported the issue, so I know that it is not coming from me.
I have also tried setting myself as an user. Having a restricted access to ULX, the addon now loads correctly as a simple player, and is getting broken again when I put myself or anybody back at the superadmin usergroup.

Others fixes I have tried are also listed below :
- getting rid of anything related to ulib/ulx in the garrysmod/data folder in the FTP ;
- getting rid of every addons related to ULX ;
- removing everything from the workshop ;
- uninstalling / reinstalling individual addons one after another ;
- deleting the server-side addons included in my garrysmod/addons folder ;

Removing the entire collection from the server partially worked, but the issue appeared to come back after a restart.

• My ULib version is v2.71d (08/05/22)
• The ULX version is v3.81d (07/13/23)
I also want to lay on the fact that multiple versions of ULX and ULIB have been tested, without any success at fixing the issue.

I'm hosting a server using the Dark RP gamemode (referred as Military RP for the purpose of the said server).

Lua errors shown in console, if any:
Code: [Select]
[ulib] Trying to send an overflowed net message!
1. unknown - addons/ulib/lua/ulib/server/util.lua:33
2. pcall - [C]:-1
3. fn - addons/ulib/lua/ulib/shared/util.lua:466
4. unknown - addons/ulib/lua/ulib/shared/hook.lua:109
[ulib] Trying to send an overflowed net message!
1. unknown - addons/ulib/lua/ulib/server/util.lua:33
2. pcall - [C]:-1
3. fn - addons/ulib/lua/ulib/shared/util.lua:466
4. unknown - addons/ulib/lua/ulib/shared/hook.lua:109
ServerLog: [FAdmin] Ludwig Köhle Von Feuerwald (STEAM_0:1:147274851) Attempted to switch noclip
05/09/2023 17:15:10
[ulib] lua/includes/extensions/net.lua:194: net.ReadType: Couldn't read type 176
1. error - [C]:-1
2. ReadType - lua/includes/extensions/net.lua:194
3. ReadTable - lua/includes/extensions/net.lua:134
4. func - addons/ulib/lua/ulib/client/cl_util.lua:9
5. unknown - lua/includes/extensions/net.lua:38

Thanks per advance for any person willing to provide support.

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
Re: Error : [ulib] Trying to send an overflowed net message!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 12:43:07 PM »
Just to confirm, you're installing our workshop versions of ULX and ULib? Or did you try our latest git versions as well?

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=557962238
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=557962280

https://github.com/TeamUlysses/ulx
https://github.com/TeamUlysses/ulib

Based on your report, my most likely suspicion is that you might have a corrupted or large amount of bans. Could you try removing the "xgui_managebans" permission for your user groups (and inherited groups) and see if it helps resolve the issue?
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline LeLiock

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 02:58:25 PM »
Good evening, first, thank for your answer.

I have indeed tried both the Workshop and Github versions, without any enhancement.

• When it comes to the bans, it would be odd since I never had the opportunity to use such feature (yet I suppose). Removing the xgui_managebans permission didn't fix the issue, but after some additional attempts I noticed that the error code's number changed (it is not the first time it happens) :

Code: [Select]
[ulib] lua/includes/extensions/net.lua:194: net.ReadType: Couldn't read type 244
    1. error - [C]:-1
        2. ReadType - lua/includes/extensions/net.lua:194
            3. ReadTable - lua/includes/extensions/net.lua:134
                4. func - addons/ulib/lua/ulib/client/cl_util.lua:9
                    5. unknown - lua/includes/extensions/net.lua:38

Going through these files, I struggled finding anything that could be explaining the cause of such issues. Removing back every addons adding external ULX commands didn't do the trick.

• If it comes from a third-party addon, I am having a really hard time trying to identify the culprit, it almost seems like multiple addons that are entirely unrelated to ULX are causing the trouble, when I'm removing them, the error disappears before appearing back again after a second restart, even if the said addon isn't there anymore. I have tried removing all my scripts one after another, listing some of them as potential troublemakers, but without any success.

If it helps, I will stay on the latest Github version, maybe it could help at some point in the future. I'll try some other fixes in the meantime.
Thanks again for your reply.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 03:00:09 PM by LeLiock »

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 01:45:04 PM »
Removing the xgui_managebans permission didn't fix the issue

Just to double check, do make sure you have completely removed the permission, by default it's on both the superadmin and also inherited from the admin group. If successful, the "bans" tab should not be shown at all in XGUI.

---

If you really want to rule out third party addons, the best test would be to set up a plain vanilla server on the sandbox gamemode on a standard map (like gm_flatgrass), then make sure there are no other addons or workshop mods installed besides ULX and ULib.

---

If that still isn't working, and if you're comfortable sharing, could you send me the following configuration files from your server? I could take a quick peek and see if anything stands out of the ordinary. Don't post them publicly, either DM me or send them to sticklyman@ulyssesmod.net. If any of these files contain an RCON password, please remove that before sending it to me.
 - garrysmod\data\ulib\*
 - garrysmod\data\ulx\*
 - garrysmod\cfg\banned_ip.cfg
 - garrysmod\cfg\banned_user.cfg
 - garrysmod\cfg\network.cfg
 - garrysmod\cfg\server.cfg
 - garrysmod\sv.db

(Alternately, you could try deleting some of these above files to ensure a clean server slate and see if that helps solve anything. Make a copy first!)

Offline LeLiock

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 07:18:22 PM »
After another day of struggle, I decided to clutch at straws and entirely wipe out the server in order to rebuild it from scratch ; since deleting add-ons, data and resetting the config files didn't work until now.

Surprisingly, the factory reset didn't bring back the issues after putting back the add-ons and data files from the previous FTP save, so I'm starting to assume that this whole succession of diverse ULX errors happened to come, in fact, from another folder that I'm still to this day unable to identify.

To find out the troublemaker, I could indeed provide you these files as well as my old save, if you would like to obtain some info about the current config I had until now.

Additionally, I will not claim victory yet, since I still have to add back some things like my sv.db and probably some other \data folders from some add-ons. I will give you the said files when coming back on my computer tomorrow.

Anyways, thanks again for the support.

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 04:53:19 PM »
I wasn't able to see anything amiss in the files you sent me. So hopefully the issues stay resolved for you! Let us know if you continue to have any issues, and feel free to swing by our Discord as you'll likely get some quicker response times there.

Offline LeLiock

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2023, 04:46:23 AM »
Hi there, thanks again for the provided help. Sorry if I have been taking long to answer, I've been busy these last days ^^

Fortunately and as you said, the said issue has been resolved, so I guess that it could still appear to be useful to people having such trouble in the future. The fix was to reset the entirety of the server, put back the addons and the data, and pouf, everything worked again.