ULX

Author Topic: Enough!!  (Read 2653 times)

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Enough!!
« on: March 15, 2009, 01:42:50 PM »
After attempting to find a new game project to get into (to play, not code), and experiencing crashes at startup of several different games, some related to I believe bad quality assurance testing, some related to incompatibilty of my PC (XP x64, dozens of 3rd party codecs, many 'unstable' drivers due to being x64, 20 different versions of MSVisual C runtimes (GEEZ, GET A CLUE M$), ALL having to do with code A not talking to Part B of Package C or Program D in the MS world.. I'm starting fresh, and installing a copy of XP 32bit.
I'm amazed that x86-64bit architecture has been out for over 8 years now, and it seems it has very little true support in the M$ world of all the major developers.

That being said, I'm in the beginning stages of various backups. I'll probably be prepping the rest of the day. Inevitably, I'll forget something I should have/wanted to keep. I always do.

Steam will be my last priority. Meh, I been wanting to replay most of my games anyway from beginning to end. What better way to do it!

"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
Re: Enough!!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 11:09:51 AM »
Yeah-- I don't believe XP-64bit was well supported.. Microsoft's way of saying "Hey, new technology! lets implement it as quickly as possible!"

I am right now using vista 64bit, which, even though its vista, has been running pretty good for me-- Just a few slight problems every now and then, but nothing that bothers me too bad.
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline Mank

• Ulysses Mod!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 05:21:05 PM »
I thought 64bit Vista has fairly good press but XP64bit has pretty bad press.  There's not much reason to make the leap to 64bit unless you really need that extra RAM.  I decided to go with 32bit.
If you doubt your powers you bring powers to your doubts.

Offline jay209015

• Ulysses Team Member
    • Dev-Solutions
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 10:08:16 AM »
I also use 64bit vista ultimate, I have not had any troubles with it at all. It supports all my 32bit apps and runs great on 8gb of ram.
An error only becomes a mistake when you refuse to correct it. --JFK

"And thus the downfall of the great ULX dynasty was wrought not by another dynasty, but the slow and steady deterioration of the leaders themselves, followed by the deprecation of the great knowledge they possessed." -Gmod, Chapter 28, verse 34 -- Stickly

Offline Mank

• Ulysses Mod!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 02:05:34 PM »
I also use 64bit vista ultimate, I have not had any troubles with it at all. It supports all my 32bit apps and runs great on 8gb of ram.

Yeah, most people I talk to say that.  There's no doubt that XP64 is shoddy though.
If you doubt your powers you bring powers to your doubts.