ULX

Author Topic: ULX with no commands just reserved slot setting  (Read 10323 times)

Offline NaRyan

ULX with no commands just reserved slot setting
« on: July 15, 2010, 09:05:03 AM »
ULX is the only addon that I have found that works correct with the reserved slots.
My new server is 18 slot, but I wanted to keep 2 slots reserved for Admins.
(was going to get new 16 slot server after other one turned into lag machine after their latest "upgrades", so I got an 18 slot one for the times an Admin is needed on server)
With ULX installed and setup for that it worked great, would say x/16 with non admins on server, x/17 with 1 admin and x/18 with 2 admins.

I have tried Sourcemods versions and it always says x/16 even when 2 Admins are on server, so there are 2 slots being unused.
However I use Evolve as my Admin addon (sorry).

So I was wondering is it possible to have ulx installed, but disable all the menu commands, so that just the reserved slot system works?

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: ULX with no commands just reserved slot setting
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 09:10:16 AM »
Delete everything from ulx/lua/ulx/modules except slots.lua and it should work fine. You might want to remove ulx/lua/ulx/log.lua too, I don't think the slots module needs it.

Can we ask why you chose Evolve over ULX?
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline NaRyan

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:33:24 AM »
Thanks for the info :D

I like ulx as it has done me well since I got my 1st gmod server 18 months ago.
I only switched from ULX to Evolve as I wanted to try something new, also tried other Admin mods but they were either too bugged\temperamental.

Main reason I stuck with Evolve was during the GMOD kick crash problems, and with Evolve using gatekeeper it solved that annoying bug.
So since it got used for so long, the other Admins got used to it, and they say they prefer Evolves GUI.
I'm not much of a GUI person, I usually use chat commands and console.

So when I got the new server and installed ULX I got many complaints about it :(
Even though the reserved slot system works perfect, and the MOTD system is better than Evolve's addon one.
They also moaned about ULX not having the fake achievements, and not having a map cleanup option (used mostly in gamemaster when a player just spams everything in 1 spot)

So I switched back to Evolve just to keep them quiet, as I get enough "complaints" from players about other player behaviour in some gamemodes :(

I still recommend ULX to people who ask what a good admin addon is.
As it works great and does what it is supposed to do, and is also easy to use. :)

I guess to many people judge stuff by how it looks not how it performs :(

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 11:25:24 AM »
If you ever do want to look into using ULX again, you should check out XGUI for a better GUI and UPS for a map cleanup. And did you know that ULX uses gatekeeper if you have it installed? :P

Thanks for your input though, we truly appreciate it!

Offline NaRyan

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 12:07:27 PM »
I run fretta gamemode servers so would UPS work ok with them?
Also I know that ULX uses gatekeeper now (I do read the SVN update info :o), but I think at the time of the switch to Evolve, ULX did not use gatekeeper?
However since the kick crash has been fixed and evolve no-longer needs it, I guess it's a moot point...

I did try XGUI, but as the saying goes "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it to drink..."
The same goes with Admins and making them use it. *sigh*

Anyhoot I deleted those files from ulx/lua/ulx/modules and left slots.lua alone, and also removed the log.lua.
Server now say x/16 with non Admin players, and x/17 with one Admin, and x/18 with 2 Admins on the server.

I do however get this error in the server console:
Lua Error: ERROR: Hook 'ULXDoCfg' Failed: addons\ulx\lua\ulx\end.lua:26: attempt to call field 'clearGimpSays' (a nil value)
Lua Error: Removing Hook 'ULXDoCfg'

And also this error shows up when you 1st join the server and is shown in clientside console
lua\includes\extensions\table.lua:82: bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)

Are they anything to be concerned about?

Edit:
After reading my comment about ULX and gatekeeper it might come off as a "snotty" comment. That is not my intention.
Sorry if you get that feeling from it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:10:42 PM by NaRyan »

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 12:14:56 PM »
Lua Error: ERROR: Hook 'ULXDoCfg' Failed: addons\ulx\lua\ulx\end.lua:26: attempt to call field 'clearGimpSays' (a nil value)
Lua Error: Removing Hook 'ULXDoCfg'

Since you do not use any other feature from ULX other than the RSlots, this is nothing to be concerned about. That function 'clearGimpSays' was probably in one of the files you deleted and can't be called. But like I said, not an issue for you.

As for the other error, that is an error that is being affected inside of one of the main lua files. I'm not sure if ULX is causing that or not. It could be something else similar to the first. Some function is being called that is returning nil due to the fact that the table it's trying to reach is in a file you deleted. Megiddo may have some more light to shed on this, but it is nothing to worry about. Everything should be running fine, right?

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »
I did try XGUI, but as the saying goes "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it to drink..."

You could always force their heads into the water!  ;D

If possible, if they've tried XGUI, try and figure out what they didn't like about it (unless all they said is that it wasn't Evolve or something stupid like that...), or even ask them what they like about Evolve's GUI. The more feedback I can get, the better :D
Especially unwilling feedback!
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 12:26:23 PM »
I run fretta gamemode servers so would UPS work ok with them?
Also I know that ULX uses gatekeeper now (I do read the SVN update info :o), but I think at the time of the switch to Evolve, ULX did not use gatekeeper?
However since the kick crash has been fixed and evolve no-longer needs it, I guess it's a moot point...

Anyhoot I deleted those files from ulx/lua/ulx/modules and left slots.lua alone, and also removed the log.lua.
Server now say x/16 with non Admin players, and x/17 with one Admin, and x/18 with 2 Admins on the server.

I do however get this error in the server console:
And also this error shows up when you 1st join the server and is shown in clientside console
Are they anything to be concerned about?

Edit:
After reading my comment about ULX and gatekeeper it might come off as a "snotty" comment. That is not my intention.
Sorry if you get that feeling from it.

I guess it would depends on the gamemodes you're running whether or not UPS would work... but if it's a gamemode that lets players spawn props it probably would work.

If reserved slots is still working I wouldn't worry about any errors.

Your comment didn't come off as snotty. :P

Offline DiscoBiscuit

• DiscoBuild
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 01:03:26 PM »
If you ever do want to look into using ULX again, you should check out XGUI for a better GUI and UPS for a map cleanup. And did you know that ULX uses gatekeeper if you have it installed? :P

Thanks for your input though, we truly appreciate it!

IT DOES?

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 01:31:53 PM »

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 01:48:32 PM »
this.. is truly synergy at work ladies and gentlemen.

Offline DiscoBiscuit

• DiscoBuild
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 04:13:43 PM »
Yes, it does... in fact, it does because you requested it.
i didn't know you actually would do it wow

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 08:27:22 AM »
Never underestimate the power of a bored Megiddo-- Especially when he's NOT programming  :o
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »
Never underestimate the power of a bored Megiddo-- Especially when he's NOT programming  :o
*sigh* That's usually when those around him who like to assist in his grand projects slowly back away, with trembling nervous ticks, shaking their head saying things often similiar to "You want to do WHAT in version (current version + 1) of (name any project)?!!" or "You want to start WHAT new project while still maintaining (see previous statement "name any project")??!?!)
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 08:29:04 AM »
*sigh* That's usually when those around him who like to assist in his grand projects slowly back away, with trembling nervous ticks, shaking their head saying things often similiar to "You want to do WHAT in version (current version + 1) of (name any project)?!!" or "You want to start WHAT new project while still maintaining (see previous statement "name any project")??!?!)

* Megiddo laughs maniacally