ULX

Author Topic: Garry's Mod Beta  (Read 44178 times)

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Garry's Mod Beta
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:44:03 PM »
Sort of a continuation of this thread, I'll keep this first post updated with the latest news about ULX and ULib running on the gmod beta.

First off: We do not support ULX and ULib running on the gmod beta at this time. There are too many bugs and things are changing too quickly.

Now that's out of the way, here's the current status as of Jan 20:
As far as I can tell, most everything in ULX and ULib is working after some changes to our network functions (Dropped our custom datastream implementation and now using Garry's new net library).

XGUI issues -- Stickly Man is working on this.
ULX help output is a bit mangled, will look into this more when I get a chance.
Need to make some changes to ULib's hook library to match Garry's changes. Nothing is breaking because of this though!
Voting isn't working for some reason
The MOTD is broken (by Garry)

Our code is available at: https://github.com/Nayruden/Ulysses
SVN for ULX: REDACTED -- read news post
SVN for ULib:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:56:36 PM by Megiddo »
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: Garry's Mod Beta
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »
First off: We do not support ULX and ULib running on the gmod beta at this time. There are too many bugs and things are changing too quickly.
If enough people want access to our test code for the gmod beta, I'll get it to you somehow. Just let me know if you're interested (you must already have the gmod beta).

Simply put - don't ask for it unless you're willing to make extremely concise detailed error or progress reports.
This is what Beta is intended for, both for Garry, and us.
Don't ask for it if you don't have Gmod beta keys.
Thanks!
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 03:47:54 PM »
Updated status of XGUI. Unfortunately I can't see all of the Derma errors are in there until I fix the first ones they complain about, so I really can't say how much work it will take to fix :P
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline krooks

• I don't like video games.
    • Diamond Krooks
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 06:01:46 PM »
ugh I knew I should have got a key when he had an open call last week! I would have been more than willing to help you guys out. Now under his avatar it says "you cant have one don't contact me" :P

If anyone sees that he's giving out more, let me know.
My TTT server. Join the fun!

Offline Aaron113

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 06:01:51 AM »
He doesn't have anymore.  I asked him a while ago and he told me to wait for the next update.  He probably gets more when he updates or something.

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 12:46:35 AM »
I would love, to help ULX and Garry out, by beta testing, but I think it is too late at this time. But if any one gets any more info, or knows where to get a key please contact me.

I am looking forward to the new Gmod, and I hope that ULX, will work decently when the new Gmod comes out.

For the new XGUI, sence your getting graphical errors, with the first one, may be a visual update is in order, just to make it have that new shiny feel. ( I know almost nothing about GUI, so don't ask me.  ;D )

I wish every one good luck with the codes, and I am sure that every one in the ULX community, and even some people outside of the ULX community are willing to help you make ULX work with Gmod almost as soon as it comes out.

Finally, I heard that Gmod will be running on its own engine, If that is the case, would there be any new built in admin commands?

( Why am I so nervous about posting this.  :-[ )
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 10:29:57 AM »
A "Visual Update" would take longer than you think :P  Garry did make the derma skins look nicer, and there are more silkicons, so I may be taking advantage of some of those. The main issue is that the DMultiChoice (now DComboBox) no longer has a textbox that's editable, which is a feature I use in a couple places. So once the beta starts working again, I'll have to make a new control for that, then see what other work needs to be done.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »
Garry is shipping his own slightly modified version of the Source engine, yes. He probably did this for two reasons: One is that it gives him more control over features (eg, the new console is probably a result of this), second is that he doesn't have to go fix gmod when a Source update breaks something. This decision is bad in that he has to manually update his engine to reflect changes in the Source engine. This means that gmod will probably lag severely behind the Source engine in the future... (The answer to your question is no, there will be no new commands as a direct result of this)

Re: visual update. XGUI took many years for us to develop, we're not looking at doing any major overhauls in it. :)

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »
http://www.facepunch.com/threads/1154038?p=34136735&viewfull=1#post34136735

More beta keys .. (if you've played 100+ hours of GMOD in the past 2 weeks). He says he'll be bringing that number down though.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:29:55 PM by Stickly Man! »

Offline Aaron113

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 08:59:29 PM »
Yeah, already got one.  Now to start doing some stuff in it... tomorrow!

Offline krooks

• I don't like video games.
    • Diamond Krooks
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 05:51:44 PM »
http://garrysmod.com/post/15614486456/gmod-beta-keys
I see you've all seen this, the hours have dropped to 50. If anyone has 50 hours, even if you have a key, would you mind trying to pick up another through this process and PMing me? I'd like to beta test not only for Gmod, but for Ulysses. Thanks in advance!
My TTT server. Join the fun!

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 04:07:01 PM »
Updated the status. Biggest issue on our plate right now is getting XGUI up and running. There's some strange behavioral bugs due to broken network filtering (Garry's problem), but it's manageable.

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
    • XGUI
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »
Indeed! Many, many things to fix in XGUI. Managed to get it up and running without any immediate lua errors, and it seems like most of the GUI is showing up, even less is entirely functional. Just need to spend more time getting everything happy with the changes Garry made to Derma.

Offline Woody666

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 09:51:17 PM »
At this moment as I post this Garry is giving away more beta keys. Go to account.garrysmod.com and sign in through steam. At time of post there are 3,553 keys remaining (out of a total of 45,000). So if you haven't already go and pick yours up.
Also, as a founder of the G-Land community, I am willing to set a server aside for ULX + ULib testing by the team here. I would really love to have ulx work on GM13.  I am Voodoo (with fancy letters (username whereswoody)) on steam, Megiddo and StickMan have me on their friends list... If you would like to use one of our servers just let me know.

Offline Digital Spit

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 04:39:07 AM »
BETA keys are back up and running, when I got mine only 7,345 remained! But I would love to help ULX ULib! Best community AND best mod for Garrys mod !! Anything I can do to help I would be more than willing to!