ULX

Author Topic: Deny access from inheriting groups  (Read 3279 times)

Offline JackYack13

Deny access from inheriting groups
« on: December 23, 2011, 05:07:53 AM »
So let's say I have two groups. Group A has fewer permissions than group B, and group B inherits from group A. But let's say that group A has an access that I want to deny form group B. I know this can probably be done by editing the files, but is there any way to do it in the XGUI? If no, then it might be a feature which could be added in one of the next revisions.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: Deny access from inheriting groups
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:14:56 PM »
This existed in previous versions but was removed to make configuration simpler. I suppose it could be added back in without much hassle... I'll think about it.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 09:25:26 AM »
If I remember correctly, troubleshooting why a lower group could do something (or not do something) a higher group could often caused more trouble here than not. With the way ULib now allows for individual group specific permissions, which in its own right is/can be reasonably complicated (but awesomely robust!), I think adding inheritance would only complicate it more.
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:36:56 PM »
Well what I would do is just restrict the command so it can only be used on "!*".

Because if

* = Everyone

and

! = not

then

!* = No-one

so in that way the command is disabled for that person because they cant target any one.

(I will try that to see if my theory works. Then  I will come back and post here.)
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »
If * = Everyone and ! = not, then !* would be Not Everyone (which is different from no-one). Basically it means you can target single or multiple players, but you can't target everyone at once.
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »
My mind is blown... and I created the targeting system. X|

I think your idea might actually work, HellFox, though I certainly never intended it to be used that way. I seem to remember a few exceptions programmed into the targeting system. Like I think I might have made it so you can always target yourself, not sure though.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JackYack13

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 08:04:12 AM »
Well what I would do is just restrict the command so it can only be used on "!*".

Because if

* = Everyone

and

! = not

then

!* = No-one

so in that way the command is disabled for that person because they cant target any one.

(I will try that to see if my theory works. Then  I will come back and post here.)

If I did that, then the users would still see the commands in the xgui / help and I don't want them to. Also, my problem is not just about commands like kick, jail, ban etc, but also commands without any arguments and other custom permissions I made for my server which are not commands. The reason I need this is for example to create groups that inherit from "admin" (so they can do stuff from other addons which is admin only, for example use the PlayX player) and not be able to use other admin commands (like one of my custom commands "cleardecals").

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 12:00:59 PM »
You should be able to split the inheritance path. If I am remembering correctly anything that inherits from "admin" will get the privileges from third party mods. So you could set it up such that admin is a dummy group that gains no extra ulx permissions, then have two other groups, say respected and superadmin that both inherit from admin. Both of these groups should be able to use stuff like PlayX, and then you can assign each group their own individual permissions as you see fit.
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6