Author Topic: My "Lower" Ranks have the permission to ban my "Higher" ranks!!  (Read 4618 times)

Offline XGen12

My "Lower" Ranks have the permission to ban my "Higher" ranks!!
« on: September 24, 2013, 04:36:21 PM »
Okay, so I've been play on my brand new dedicated server, for quite a while now, I have the ULX and ULi addons/plugins for the server, and a bit of a problem has occurred, this is my ranks, and their permissions;

Name:MainOwner
Inherits:Owner
Can Target: *

Name:Owner
Inherits:HeadAdmin

Name:HeadAdmin
Inherits:Admin

Name:Admin
Inherits:HeadModerator

Name:HeadModerator
Inherits:Moderator

Name: Moderator
Inherits: Member

Name: Member
Inherits: user

Name:user
Inherits:user

If you know how to fix this PLEASE HELP, I need to know what EXACTLY TO PUT in the EXACT spots, if you can help then thank you!

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Sertafide Ulysses Jenius
    • Team Ulysses [ULib/ULX, other fine releases]
Re: My "Lower" Ranks have the permission to ban my "Higher" ranks!!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:47:05 PM »
Ok, first, Welcome to our community!
Second, most of us here won't spoon feed you, especially when it seems you've barely tried to find the answer yourself.
You're asking us to give you exact answers that will most likely never teach you, and you'll continue to have to be spoon fed the answers.
Hints:
Third, You have every group set to can target *, which means, ALL. 2) * = all other groups. You're setting EVERY group can_target EVERY OTHER group.
Fourth, not only will point 3 affect you, you have each group inherit the one below it, which, ta da, will inherit the can target group unless specified otherwise.

We have a FAQ that should, at least, educate you and point you in the right direction.
Please read it, and posts linked to from it.
Aptly named How exactly does can_target work?

Once you think you have some better setups, or questions showing a bit more thought involved, you're likely to get better response.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:48:59 PM by JamminR »
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline MrPresident

• Ulysses Team Member
    • |G4P| Gman4President
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:28:49 PM »
I've got to the point where whenever I see:

'inherits superadmin' in a post I just zone out and stop reading the thread.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 05:02:56 AM »
I'm assuming you renamed superadmin to headadmin? Renaming the default groups is a bad idea, as it will break third party code.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline XGen12

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 06:40:59 AM »
Okay, here's the deal, I looked for a WHOLE day, on this very forum and others, how to fix this, once I got no answers at all, i thought, "You know what? I'm just going to make an account and get some answers there." When I did that, I thought it would get fixed by today, hopefully that happens, but im not sure, just tell me some answers on how to fix it please!

**PS: SuperAdmin, was renamed to Owner**

EDIT: I may have fixed the can_target, but the inheritance is still way outta shape, this is the new one so far;

Name:MainOwner
Inheritance:Owner
Can Targer:*

Name:Owner
Inheritance:HeadAdmin
Can Target:!%MainOwner

Name:HeadAdmin
Inheritance:Admin
Target:!%Owner

Name:Admin
Inheritance:HeadModerator
Target:!%HeadAdmin

Name:HeadModerator
Inheritance:Moderator
Target:!%Admin

Name:Moderator
Inheritance:Member
Target:!%HeadModerator

Name:Member
Inheritance:user
Target:!%Moderator

Name:user <can't change
Inheritance:user <can't change
Target:!%Member
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:52:02 AM by XGen12 »

Offline XGen12

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 07:11:22 AM »
Hints:
Third, You have every group set to can target *, which means, ALL. 2) * = all other groups. You're setting EVERY group can_target EVERY OTHER group.
Fourth, not only will point 3 affect you, you have each group inherit the one below it, which, ta da, will inherit the can target group unless specified otherwise.
[/quote]

As of now this barely tells me anything, you aren't really telling me HOW to fix this, more of what i'm doing wrong, I read the FAQ how does can_target work, and i fixed the can_target section, but i'm stuck on inheritance, I came to this forum to get an answer, all i'm getting, is being told that "You're doing everything wrong, and i'm not going to tell you how, figure it out on your own."

EDIT: I messed up on the quote, i'm new so don't flip out on me

Offline XGen12

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 12:06:15 PM »
Okay, I have screenshots of the actual server menu, and inheritance, and can_target, i hope this helps you on whats going on...

Offline XGen12

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 12:09:08 PM »
More, and last of the pictures

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 01:55:02 PM »
Meg, Pres, I didn't even notice he had no superadmin group. I only saw he had given all groups can_target to every other.
Gen,
As for your point of 'all your telling me is what I'm doing wrong, not how to fix it', well, you shouldn't have made your first post to us as so demanding like you wanted us to do your work for you.
We gave you a FAQ, you fixed your can_target...did it not help you?

Besides you now having no 'superadmin' group, one of three groups that Garry and most Gmod code require (I'm pretty sure even DarkRP requires superadmin), what's not working in your inheritance?

Some pointers about lua and groups...use all lower case. (I thought XGUI was set to do that already...did you modify groups file manually?)
"Though a program be but three lines long, someday it will have to be maintained." -- The Tao of Programming

Offline XGen12

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »
Well, i'll just reset the whole server, delete all the files, reinstall all addons, that worked last time, but i renamed superadmin to owner, so i'll just add owner to inherit superadmin will that work?

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 06:17:16 PM »
Whole server may be bit drastic, resetting ULib/ULX would probably be better, and save you a few hours of time.
Besides many mods that might not work because you removed 'superadmin' group...You never did explain what's wrong with your inheritance?
Why do you even need an owner group?
Superadmin, in Gmod, 'is' the owner, r00t access, server host. Always has been, always intended to be.
Admins and below are what's meant for other access levels.

Offline XGen12

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 06:50:28 PM »
I reset my server, added an owner rank which is planted right above superadmin, EVERYTHING is working much better, and the only reason i want an owner rank, is it shows dominance and the fact that YOU and ONLY YOU own the server.

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 07:37:10 PM »
I reset my server, added an owner rank which is planted right above superadmin, EVERYTHING is working much better, and the only reason i want an owner rank, is it shows dominance and the fact that YOU and ONLY YOU own the server.

At the end of the day, our recommendations are just that -- recommendations. We're not trying to force you to do anything, if we wanted to do that it would've been easy enough to enforce that programmatically. Glad that everything's working for you now!
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.

Offline JamminR

• Ulysses Team Member
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 07:58:02 PM »
Glad we could help

Offline sabo

• Hello :)
    • The Elite Gaming
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 10:10:28 AM »

By making superadmin the owner rank (WITHOUT naming it owner) you would still be the only one owning the server, where is your point?