ULX

Author Topic: Steam Screenshot Glitch.  (Read 2222 times)

Offline LuaTenshi

• Just your ordinary moon angel!
    • Mirai.Red
Steam Screenshot Glitch.
« on: February 01, 2014, 10:20:42 PM »
So I was in game and people where asking me WTF is Bunny Must Die, so I took a screenshot of my current game but when I went to look at it in my screenshot library I saw this...

I was playing the game in full screen at the time so I don't know where that black border came from. Also when you try to access the image directly (link) it downloads a file named "download" to your computer without an extension, setting its extension to PNG does show that it is in fact the image.

But here are my two questions...

Has this happened to any one else before?
Does this mean some one could exploit Steams image host and actually use it to host files?
I cry every time I see that I am not a respected member of this community.

Offline Stickly Man!

• Ulysses Team Member
  • What even IS software anymore?
    • XGUI
Re: Steam Screenshot Glitch.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 12:40:09 PM »
Doubtful. My guess is that the image messed up because of how the game is programmed- Steam Overlay didn't handle the screenshot process as well as it should have.

As for the image download, most hosts will set the name of a file before a client downloads it- so the file stored on their servers might not match the name it eventually gets downloaded as. Something probably got messed up there.

I'm almost certain that Steam will ensure that any uploaded image is a valid image (containing the correct file header and whatnot). File extensions do not definitively determine what the type of a file is- it just helps the operating system know how to handle the file or what program to open it with without having to read the file and have a comprehensive database of file headers.

(Also, sorry I keep missing you on steam, I've been veerry very busy as of late :P )
Join our Team Ulysses community discord! https://discord.gg/gR4Uye6

Offline Megiddo

• Ulysses Team Member
  • Project Lead
Re: Steam Screenshot Glitch.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 06:36:11 PM »
The HTTP header can "suggest" what to name the file to the browser, so that's not a problem there.
Experiencing God's grace one day at a time.